Writing assignment #5 will be anannotated bibliography.
For writing assignment #5, we begin ourResearch Report Packagefor the class.You will want to read the instructions for the final research-based report so that you have an idea of what types of topics to consider for the annotated bibliography. Please clickhereto read the instructions for the final research-based report.
You have completed various exercises in using OneSearch, a gateway through which you can find quality articles in the databases to which UMUC subscribes.
For this assignment, you will write an annotated bibliography of four sources. All four sources should be acquired through OneSearch. They should come from scholarly journals or trade journals.
Annotated bibliographies are written for various classes for different reasons. One reason for writing an annotated bibliography is to help you organize research you have begun for a paper.
You will prepare to write the annotated bibliography by completing the following steps:
- Consider a topic for your final report.Please refer to the instructions for the final report for more information on topics to consider. Again, click thehereto review the instructions for the final report.
- Peruse through different sources that could inform the paper on that topic. You will want to consider many sources as you navigate the OneSearch interface.
- Select four of the sources you have found.
You will then write the annotated bibliography as follows:
- cite each article in APA format
- summarize each article in 100-150 words.
- write a one- or two-sentence evaluation at the end of the annotation explaining why this source might be helpful to you for your final report.
- list each reference (followed by its annotation) in alphabetical order.
Keep in mind that, when you eventually write your research-based report, you don’t have to use every source you annotate for your annotated bibliography in that report. You might find that, as you find more sources and consider your topic more thoroughly, you don’t use several of the sources you annotated. This outcome is not a problem. The purpose of writing the annotated bibliography is to help get you started on locating sources and allow you to begin analyzing and summarizing them.
Strategies to Consider for this Assignment:
-UMUC’s Information and Library Services unit provides a tutorial on how to write an annotation of a source. Click here to access the tutorial.
The transcript of the tutorial can be accessed by clicking here.
The following are some links to sample Annotated Bibliographies. Some of them give examples in APA format. You may want to observe these examples and perhaps model your work after them.
- A variety of samples from The University of North Carolina Writing Center, including these specific examples of APA-style annotations.
- Some instruction from Cornell University. The website also provides more information on the process of writing an annotated bibliography.
- Some samples from Memorial University in Newfoundland.
- Some instruction from East Carolina University.